Date:      Thu, 8 Feb 2007 12:47:10 +0200
From:      "Clayton Milos" <clay@milos.co.za>
To:        "Artem Kuchin" <matrix@itlegion.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What is a good choice of sata-ii raid controller for freebsd?

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 12:42:39PM +0300, Artem Kuchin wrote:
> I need a raid controller for FBSD 6.2 which has the following options

I can highly recommend the Areca family of SATA-II controllers. I have a
ARC-1110 (4 poort RAID controller) with 4x 320GB Western Digital
SATA-II drives attached to it in a RAID5 configuration.

Simple dd(1)-ing gives around 100MB/sec read and 70MB/sec write
performance. You can use sysutils/areca-cli to monitor it and update
settings (I have never tried actually creating arrays there though).

The controllers are a tad expensive, but once you have one, you won't
reget it.

Regards,

--
Rink P.W. Springer                                - http://rink.nu
"It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But yet a far more terrible thing,

I have 2 arryas of 4 WD320G drives each running RAID0 (I have backups I just
need the speed).

root@homer:/nas #> dd if=/dev/zero of=test.file bs=65536 count=16384
16384+0 records in
16384+0 records out
1073741824 bytes transferred in 7.314186 secs (146802639 bytes/sec)

-Clay