Date:      Wed, 1 Jul 2009 14:58:17 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@deepcore.dk>
To:        Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATA driver update for 7.2RELEASE available

On 27Jun, 2009, at 14:29 , Bruce Cran wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 22:11:08 +0200
> S=F8ren Schmidt <sos@deepcore.dk> wrote:
>
>> This is a total replacement of the ATA driver, modulerized as in -
>> current, but based on my WIP not from what might have happend to -
>> current since I gave up maintainership.
>
> It's great to see the driver be modularised since removing unneeded
> drivers (for example, on powerpc and embedded platforms) can save
> ~200KB.

Yep, thats the main idea behind this move, minimizing the footprint.
With this and some of the _NO_ options to the world build an almost =20
reasonable sized FreeBSD can be made.
FreeBSD seems to have grown *alot* of fat over the last years, not to =20=

mention ports where installing one small application gets you both a =20
pony and a barn to keep it in as a "bonus" 8^)

> Could you add some documentation for the modules in /sys/conf/NOTES
> please?  I looked through the sources and put together the patch for
> 8.0 which is avaiable at
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3Dkern/133162 but it sounds
> like some more drivers will need to be added for 7.2.

Good catch, included in my WIP here, when/if I get to put up another =20
release of this it will be in there, thanks!

PS: For official inclusion in FreeBSD someone with a commit bit will =20
have to look into this.

-S=F8ren