Date:      Thu, 3 Mar 2005 04:04:47 +0000
From:      "John" <lists@reiteration.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Backing up server to Windows box

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 21:40:37 -0600, Chris wrote
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone know a good way to completely back up a FreeBSD server
> (running things like Apache, a mail server, sshd, etc) to my home
> WinXP box?

[I don't do windows. This backs up one freebsd box to another via dump]

I'm doing this with some bash scripting.

> a) schedule a program on my WinXP box that ssh's to the server to
> retrieve the files; or b) use cron to cause the server to ssh to my
> WinXP box to push the files to me.
>
> Option 'b' seems more secure to me for some reason ... is there a
> FreeBSD port/package that can handle that, if I were to run a ssh
> server on my home computer? I do have a static IP address, but if
> that were to ever change, I suppose option 'a' might be easier.

It depends. Are you going to do this once or twice a year or do you also want
to do differential (daily) backups? Have you got enough space to back up to a
partition on the server then to sftp it down?

My situation was a tad more complex. I run dump to standard output then pipe
it to ssh using pubkey authentication to my home server into a directory on an
external hard drive. This is easily scriptable, but tailor-made.

If you want a package that will do it, take a look at sysutils/dar in the
ports. There is also a windows port of it which may be more suitable for your
needs.

--
lists@reiteration.net