Date:      Wed, 14 Jun 1995 07:57:18 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        wjw@IAEhv.nl (Willem Jan Withagen)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Medium error

As Willem Jan Withagen wrote:

> And this baby is generating a medium error on just one location.
> Jun 13 22:19:50 iaehv kernel: sd2(ncr0:2:0): medium error, info = 2817606 (decimal)

> But the real serious question: Is there any way of getting this ONE error
> out of the way by just any reasonable method?

Did you try Peter's trick to enable automatic bad sector replacement?
The disk should look like:

uriah # scsi -f /dev/rsd0.ctl -m 1
AWRE (Auto Write Reallocation Enbld):  1
ARRE (Auto Read Reallocation Enbld):  1

(The 1's are the important thing.)

I think you can call the command with a trailing `-e' (edit mode page)
and with some other option to make the change permanent.  Peter will
be more helpful (and will certainly write an entry for
/usr/share/FAQ/Text/SCSI-FAQ for it :--).

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/