Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 2000 03:40:20 +0930
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@ares.trc.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
Subject:   Re: BDK and JITs (and NetBSD)

On Wed, Aug 30, 2000 at 11:06:32AM +0100, Koster, K.J. wrote:
> One: The BDK dumps core if you've compiled the JDK with lesstif. If you
> haven't moved to openmotif, I guess now is as good a time as any. Thanks to
> Alec Kalinin for finding this out (the hard way).

I think this is a really good idea unless you are wanting to contribute to
Lesstif development by finding and debugging these problems :).

> Two: I've tried to follow my own instructions to install a JIT, after some
> reports that they did not work properly. They are indeed quite useless. :-/
>
> Has anyone gotten these ports to work?

I've had openJIT working, but not from a port.

> Three: While typing up this e-mail I have received some new toys for the
> NetBSD port: a Sun IPX, a Sun Javastation and an HP712/100. Anyone up for a
> NetBSD port of the JDK?

A NetBSD port would be good, a unified BSD port would be better, IMO.  In
terms of platforms, I suspect NetBSD/i386 would be the easiest to start
with, given the existing FreeBSD/i386 port.  Of the hardware you list, the
Sparc hardware shouldn't be that difficult, given the existence of Solaris
and Linux ports (you do realise compiling the JDK on an IPX is going to
take a _long_ time though :). NetBSD/sparc only lists using a serial
console for the Javastation too.  I'm not even sure which architecture
(NetBSD wise) the HP is (hp300?), but you'd likely be in the same position
as the Alpha port, i.e. writing chunks of assembler for it would be the
big hold up.

--
Greg Lewis 				glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Computing Officer			+61 8 8303 5083