Date:      Sun, 10 Nov 2002 06:33:06 -0800
From:      Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.homeip.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mips@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Status of the project

* De: Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.homeip.net> [ Data: 2002-11-10 ]
	[ Subjecte: Status of the project ]
> Hi,
>
> Hey Jules, I see you've restarted this old project again, I'm curious
> what the current status of it is. I recall reading about this on
> daemonnews. I've been looking at the state of the various freenix
> projects on the sgimips platform, and, so far, it seems Linux is the
> most advanced one. NetBSD's support is currently not bad, they support
> the SCSI, ethernet and serial port, but no keyboard or console support
> yet. So, what are your ideas for this? It should be relatively easy to
> get the minimal hardware support by looking at how NetBSD is doing it,
> then have a look at Linux' code and get some ideas. I've got an old
> R4000 Indy I'd be very pleased to hack on.

Well, I recently posted the content of the status report I submitted for
the current status report season here in FreeBSD, and also a diff, among
other things.  Also recently put together a page:
	http://www.FreeBSD.org/projects/mips/

Which has info about current tasks, both ongoing, and needing-to-get-done...
In short, right now, it's still trudging along to the point where there's
something small booting, and from there, the idea is to just trudge along
to single user.  And from there, the idea is to trudge along to the
standard idiom of FreeBSD-on-something.

You've got mostly the idea of what we've had in mind as far as support
for things.  Most of that is still a non-issue, but it's nice to (such
as in the case of the arcbios driver) get certain types of drivers in
tree, as they serve as documentation about some of the low-level bits
and bobbles that one has to twiddle when programming at the low level.

Thanks,
juli.
--
Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>       | FreeBSD: The Power To Serve