Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 2010 14:48:21 -0500
From:      "Spring, Jeremy" <Jeremy.Spring@us.lawson.com>
To:        "doc@FreeBSD.org" <doc@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   doc correction

Hello,

I setup nat translation and port forwarding on my FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE machi=
ne.  It took me a while to get this working because I had to find out by tr=
ial and error that the interface to forward packets through is NOT the inte=
rface connected to the Internet as the documentation suggests, but rather, =
is the interface connected to my private network.

My final nat command string is:
/sbin/natd -redirect_port tcp 10.13.55.4:3389 3389 -n em1

where em0 is connected to the Internet, em1 is connected to my private netw=
ork, and I want to forward incoming RDP traffic destined for my public faci=
ng IP to 10.13.55.4.  The documentation suggests that I should be using my =
Internet facing interface (em0), but this doesn't work.  The documentation =
I am looking at is at http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/hand=
book/network-natd.html.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!
Jeremy

Jeremy Spring
Software Engineer - Systems
Lawson Software
380 St. Peter Street | Saint Paul | Minnesota-55102
Direct: 651-767-6094
www.lawson.com<http://www.lawson.com/>;