Date:      Fri, 27 Jun 2003 01:08:16 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Paul Robinson <paul@iconoplex.co.uk>
Cc:        Michael Carr <sphaleotas@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: RMS says: "Use BSD, for goodness sake!"

Paul Robinson wrote:
> If we take the output of that, and also mix in the stuff in /usr/src/gnu
> then we get the list (and my rough, top of the head, first stab on whether
> they're needed and/or can be reimplemented) below of around 35 (there is
> some duplication) packages that would need to be re-implemented, replaced or
> removed for FBSD to be GPL free.
>
> as - could be replaced, maybe even re-implmented.

There's a different assembler, already in ports.

> awk - encourage people to port their code away from awk. Big.

Real awk is available.

> bc - an undergrad could re-implement based on man page

Or even a graduate... 8-).

> binutils - collection of some 20 smallish apps, all manageable

These are all tied to the compilers.  Most of them are only
necessary because of the compiler.

> bzip2 - could be reimplemented

Or ignored.  The Unisys patent which caused it to be written has
expired (Welcome home, compress, we missed you!).

> cc - find an alternative compiler? From where?

TenDRA.  Watcom.  Intel.  Lots of choices here.

> cpio - reimplement from man page, or replace/remove requirement for

pax.

> cvs - Don't need this do we? :-) look at another version control?

P4.

> dc - see bc

""

> dialog - need it now, kill it later, or re-implement based on man page

Kill it.

> diff - another undergrad project
> diff3 - see diff

Free versions available.

> gcc - hahahaha. yeah, right. see "cc".
> gdb - ditto.

See "cc" and "binutils".

> gperf - remove? teach people better DS&A? :-)

Not needed.

> grep - the issue here is the regexp, otherwise re-implement.

Recently discussed; replacement not imported for historical
performance reasons.

> groff - look at alternate doc formatting?

Real nroff available.  Primary reason for groff is mandoc and
Postscript.

> gzip - nasty, but re-implementable. Or we move to a non-GNU zip format.

Compress, again.

> ipfilter - unclear on license... QNX_OCL.txt???

OpenBSD implementation; however, current ipfilter is not GPL.

> less - re-implementable quite quickly

Just use standard "more".

> ld - similar issues to cc and as - quite small though.

See CC.

> libgmp - alternatives available, with a performance hit

Shouldn't need to install this by default as part of base system.

> libio - another stdio lib from somewhere to replace it?

Uh... /usr/src/lib/libc/stdio?

> libpam - Linux PAM. Major effort to replace.

PAM has already been moved out from under by D.E.S.

> libreadline - big one to replace, IMHO

Free replacement exists; big problem is internationalization,
which is poorly handled anyway.

> man - could be re-implemented based on file format information known

Part of real nroff/troff.

> ncurses - big, high-impact, hard to replace

Old curses (Welcome back, real terminfo support!)

> patch - see diff

Larry Wall's "Artistic License"; not GPL.

> perl - it's not part of base anymore is it? If people want it, they grab it

Not part of base system.

> ptx - remove/replace/re-implement. Probably the former.

Make not part of base system.

> rcs - remove and make an optional package?

Not GPL.

> sdiff - see diff/patch

Free version already available.

> send-pr - remove! OK, re-implement, if you must. :-)

Never works for anyone with an email domain that doesn't match
their mail relay's domain anyway.  Reenable the web page and call
it a day.

> sort - another undergrad project based on the man page

Trivial.

> tar - find alternative, or re-implement

pax.

> tcpdump - remove from base?

Remove from base.

> texinfo - find alternative, or remove from base

Use real Knuth TeX, instead.

> There's actually quite a few there that could be removed out to optional
> packages or ports. Some of it though - like the compiler - just has to stay
> unless an alternative is found. The ones that could be taken out straight
> away without much impact (I think!) are bc/dc, gperf, groff, ipfilter,
> libgmp (maybe?), libpam, perl, ptx, rcs and texinfo. That would bring us
> down to around two dozen GNU apps distributed with FBSD, and 10 of those
> could be re-written to be command line compatible but under BSD license
> quite quickly.
>
> Thoughts?

That code is under the GPL doesn't matter for tactical code.
All the code you've just named is tactical, not strategic;
for example, no one cares what compiled their code, or what
compiler runs on a platform, if they are running only binary
programs.

-- Terry