Date:      Sun, 08 Jul 2001 10:37:29 -0700
From:      Jim Binkley <jrb@cs.pdx.edu>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wicontrol -p args  and braindump

1. demise of demo ad hoc mode is not the case...

Lucent calls -p 3 "demo ad hoc".

If he is, that is not correct.  I think what Nick meant
was that there is no support for "demo" (-p 3) ad hoc
in the Lucent windows drivers.  I think that is correct.
Lucent figures that windows users only do "normal" things :->.
Since demo ad hoc is not 802.11 ... ("demo" is a nice way
to say oops), not available in windows.

I played with Lucent orinoco yesterday using IBSS to talk
to a bsd desktop and didn't see it.

However they have not removed support for demo ad hoc
in their firmware as far as I know.  In fact, I explicitly
asked them, and was told that they had no intentions to
do so because the ad hoc routing research community doesn't want
them to.  The linux man page confirms that assertion ...
more to the point ... it is still there; e.g.,

wi0: <WaveLAN/IEEE 802.11> at port 0x240-0x27f irq 10 slot 0 on pccard0
wi0: Ethernet address: 00:02:2d:29:24:c7
wi0: (hw type=1, firmware=0x06:10) (my hack)

with a card that says Orinoco on it, and firmware version 6.10.
I can get -p 3 to work.

The linux wvlan_cs (now orinoco_cs in 2.4)
guys at one point thought it was gone too ...  and they were wrong.

2. IBSS mode ... is -p 1, -c 1, -n essid, -f 10.  I asked
Lucent about -p 0, and they said no such beast.  Lucent
calls IBSS "peer to peer" under windows.  There is one gotcha,
(maybe two ...) with IBSS/windows/lucent ...   Old firmware
had the default ad hoc channel set to 3.  New firmware has it
set to 10.  I have no idea how you would change the channel
under windows (I was using W2K), and Nick couldn't find anything
either.  Maybe some registry setting, he suggested?  If anybody
knows, please speak up.

I got "peer to peer" working speaking
to a freebsd box like so:

	freebsd/desktop
		wicontrol -i wi0 -p 1
		wicontrol -i wi0 -c 1
		wicontrol -i wi0 -n mypeergroup
		wicontrol -i wi0 -f 10

	windows/laptop
		peer to peer setup
			firmware channel was 10
			name set to mypeergroup

	DHCP ... worked ... so did ping.

Lucent modes of operation are documented in a README that
comes with their linux/install package.  They also have
a man page for wavelan2_cs.  You have to speak linux /etc/pcmcia though.

I have seen some flaky behavior with IBSS mode. It may be
that you should run it at channel 10 period, assuming your
firmware has been updated.  For some reason, I couldn't
get signal strength info with it for a bit, but it seems
to be working now in IBSS.

missouri# wicontrol -i wi0 -C
[1/1]: 00:60:1d:f0:52:03, 192.168.1.1, sig: -41, noise: -96, qual: 55

3. bug in wicontrol ...  I told Andre about this.
# wicontrol -i wi0 -o

doesn't seem to work anymore (used to).  struct wi_counters
in /sys/i386/isa/if_wireg.h (e.g. in or 4.3), needs two
more counters at the end of the structure.

        u_int32_t               wi_rx_msg_in_bad_msg_frags;
add the next two ...
        u_int32_t               wi_rx_discards_wep_icv_error;
        u_int32_t               wi_rx_discards_wep_excluded;

It seems to take awhile to update anyway in any cases, but at
least my current version now works (am running with IBSS):

souri# wicontrol -i wi0 -o
Transmitted unicast frames:             6097
Transmitted multicast frames:           187
Transmitted fragments:                  20942
Transmitted unicast octets:             547547
Transmitted multicast octets:           29172
Single transmit retries:                0
Multiple transmit retries:              0
Transmit retry limit exceeded:          0
Transmit discards:                      0
Transmit discards due to wrong SA:      0
Received unicast frames:                4148
Received multicast frames:              743
Received fragments:                     11735
Received unicast octets:                432200
Received multicast octets:              118880
Receive FCS errors:                     1
Receive discards due to no buffer:      0
Can't decrypt WEP frame:                0
Received message fragments:             0
Received message bad fragments:         0

				regards,

				Jim Binkley
				jrb@cs.pdx.edu