Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2003 08:05:34 +0100
From:      Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.homeip.net>
To:        Sam Izzo <izzo@humbug.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linker paths & /usr/local/lib

--=.CG9wQ8VcEjXH4k

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 12:17:24 +1100
Sam Izzo <izzo@humbug.net> wrote:

Howdy,

> Yeah that's all well and good for me compiling my own programs, but
> the OpenPTC`configure' checks for Hermes by writing the test program
> that I posted and linking with the above line :-)  It doesn't put
> -L/usr/local/lib in.  I suppose I can just hack the `configure' script
> but surely there's a better solution?

The configure scripts usually accept a parameter like
`--with-extra-libs=/usr/local/lib' that you could use. You can always
invoke configure with the --help option and check for it. Works most of
the time.

> Ahh, darn, that's not what the ld man page says :)  But it didn't work
> when I put the paths in ld.so.conf so I guess it's wrong..

Most of the GNU tools are better documented in the info pages, as they
consider man pages legacy. info ld might turn up more detailed info.

Cheers,
--
        Miguel Mendez - flynn@energyhq.homeip.net
        GPG Public Key :: http://energyhq.homeip.net/files/pubkey.txt