Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 16:52:09 -0400
From:      "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
To:        Rick Hamell <hamellr@aracnet.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ed1/ device timeout

Rick Hamell stated:
:
: 	Hi all! I thought I had my network card working, when I run
: Ifconfig manually I get the ed1 device timeout error message three times -
: According to the handbook this is an IRQ conflict. I've removed all the
: conflicts I can find except the one between pcic0 and ed0 (in the
: Kernel.) Both devices are on IRQ 10, but ed0 is set to auto config in
: /etc/pccard.conf and it does get detected at IRQ 10 but gets assigned the
: ed1 name. This leads me to believe that I may not need the ed0 device in
: the kernel, is this true? And if not I should be able to change the ed0
: line in /etc/pccard.conf to IRQ 9 for instance? Thanks in advance!

Rick-

This is a classic irq problem :)

1) change the ed entry in your kernel to read

device ed

2) change the pcic entry in your kernel to be just

# PCMCIA support
device card
device pcic0 at isa?

This will put the pcic in polling mode and will free up an irq.

3) Change the entry in /etc/rc.conf to be (using DHCP as an example)

pccard_ifconfig="DHCP"

and not

ifconfig_ed0="DHCP"

4) Make sure that you are really using /etc/pccard.conf and not
the default version (/etc/pccard.conf.sample for 4.0-RELEASE or
/etc/defaults/pccard.conf for a recent -STABLE and soon to be
4.1-RELEASE).  You can set this by adding

pccard_conf="/etc/pccard.conf"

in /etc/rc.conf.  This is only needed if you are hacking on a
customized version.

5) Figure out what your free irq's are.  Often IRQ 9 or 3 are
loose.  Don't have 10 in the irq line of /etc/pccard.conf if it
is not really free.  The irq line there should only contain known
free irqs.

Hope this helps.