Date:      Sun, 25 Apr 2004 08:51:19 +0800 (CST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Stephen=20Liu?= <satimis@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Open Office - installation problem

> [2004-04-24 08:32]:
> > On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 08:27:28PM +0800, Stephen
> Liu wrote:
> > > Hi folks,
> > >
> > > FreeBSD 5.2
> > >
> > > I encountered following problem on installing
> OOo
> > >
> > > OOo_1.1.1.RC3_FreeBSD52Intel_install.tbz
> > > was download to /usr/home/user/Download
> >
> > It's not a package, it's a tgz file. Use "tar xzvf
> file.tgz". Go to the
> > OO site and read the install instructions, there
> are other things you
>
> No. It's a package, and it's *not* a tgz file.  But
> yes, you do need to
> go do some reading, and there very likely are other
> things you will need
> to do.  As a previous responder noted, when you 'su
> -' it simulates a
> full root login, which puts you in root's home dir.
> I note that you
> said when you attempted to correctly add the pkg, it
> hung.  It's big.
> Use the pkg_add command, perhaps with -v so you can
> see what's
> happening, and install the darned thing.

Hi Joshua and others,

You are correct.  I should 'su' without '-/ing' then
it worked.  But I am running on a slow machine (AMD
K-6/350).  It took a while with following pop-up

# pkg_add OOo_1.1.1.RC3_FreeBSD52Intel_install.tbz
pkg_add: could not find package ORBit-0.5.17_2 !

Now another problem comes on installing RRBit-0.5.17_2
as follow;

# cd /usr/ports/
# make clean  (first)

The PC is now running for more than 8 hrs. coming to
biology/platon
Cleaning .....

Shall I close the Kconsole window OR let it to run.

B.R.
Stephen