Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 2004 12:12:20 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        "David E. Meier" <dev@eth0.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unable to create the partition. Too big?

David E. Meier wrote:
> Yep, that did work. I did not delete the swap partition before. After
> deleting all of the partitions I was able to create the table as intended.
>
> However, I've installed FreeBSD in a similar way a couple of times before
> and never seen this happen. Does anyone know the reason for it? Dave.

The root partition is somewhat special, in that the BIOS needs to pass control
of the system to a file (the bootloader, and then the kernel) it loads from
there.  Once FreeBSD is started, it has a more reasonable view of the world
and is not subject to limitations sometimes found in old BIOSes.

In particular, there used to be a requirement that the boot partition fit
within the first 1024 cylinders of the boot drive, which obviously dates back
to C/H/S geometries rather than the modern LBA view that reasonable software
like FreeBSD would prefer to use.  sysinstall has some understanding of these
limitations, but the resulting error messages tend to be imprecise.

While this explanation does not exactly match your description of what
happened (as I'd expect the creation of / to fail, not /usr), well, it doesn't
surprise me that putting a large swap partition first before / doesn't always
work.  :-)  Put / first and you'll probably have better luck.

--
-Chuck