Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2001 12:12:08 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Handbook PostScript output > 90 Megabytes

Bruce A. Mah said on Aug 22, 2001 at 14:12:56:
> >   I certainly think the excellent screenshots are worth the bloat at
> > almost any cost, but is there some way we can optimize our .scr ->
> > .eps conversion so that users can once again actually download the PDF
> > / PostScript versions from the FTP site?
>
> Yow!
>
> OK, it looks like the PS to PDF conversion shrinks the file down to
> something which, while still hefty, is at least manageable.  From my
> last Handboook build of last week:
>
> nimitz:handbook% ls -ls book.{ps,pdf}
>   5456 -rw-r--r--  1 bmah  bmah   5576031 Aug 16 14:53 book.pdf
>  89576 -rw-r--r--  1 bmah  bmah  91664873 Aug 16 14:53 book.ps
>
> Wish I had some ideas on this one.  I agree with you that we really
> really really want to keep the screenshots.

I found a script on the web called png2eps which seems to do a
good job of creating a small (bitmap) eps file.
http://mmewww.mw.tu-dresden.de/~henlich/png2eps
I used the "packbits" compression option; lzw doesn't seem to work
(probably disabled in libtiff) due to patent issues.   For a sample
png screenshot, I get file sizes

-rw-r--r--  1 rsidd  users  38052 Aug 23 12:08 console-saver1.eps
-rw-r--r--  1 rsidd  users   5181 Aug 23 12:03 console-saver1.png

This looks acceptable to me.  I don't know whether the resulting eps
is publication quality but it's perfectly legible, should do fine for
people who just want to download the thing and print a personal copy.

- Rahul