Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2000 16:12:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, phk@critter.freebsd.dk (Poul-Henning Kamp), freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

Jordan K. Hubbard writes:
 > >     So you guys (core) choose -- do you want 4.x to reap the benefits of
 > >     further SMP development or not?
 >
 > I've read all the feedback on this thread and now feel that it would
 > be worthwhile to simply bring the SMP changes in on Wednesday.  As others
 > have pointed out, we don't have enough 3rd party 4.0 klds yet (I'd have
 > a hard time even saying "any") to make this a real problem so let's
 > just go for it.

Are there any 3rd party NIC klds yet?

If we're going to be having a module flag day, I'm thinking that it
might be a good time to MFC Jonathan Lemon's checksum offloading code.
Doing this would require changing MSIZE to 256, which in turn would
require recompiling any module using mbufs (all NICs, network
filesystems, etc).

Cheers,

Drew