Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 2004 12:46:20 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: boot loader crashes

This sounds related to the "boot2" madness we went through about a
week ago.  There's too many threads to point you to, but as it stands
now, things work.  I can confirm that at one time there was a problem
with the loader breaking (i.e. when boot2 loaded, it would quickly
panic/spit out exceptions, then immediately reboot the machine), but
that was taken care of as well.

I would recommend rebuilding the bootblocks and re-applying them.  In
addition, reinstall the boot0 blocks as well, just to be safe.  A quick
walkthrough:

# cd /usr/src/sys/boot
# make clean
# make
# make install
# disklabel -B <drive><slice>  (i.e. "ad0s1")
# boot0cfg -B <drive>          (i.e. "ad0")

| Making life hard for others since 1977.                             |