Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 2003 16:50:26 -0500
From:      Jim King <jim@jimking.net>
To:        Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@srrc.ars.usda.gov>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rebuild RAID 10 array

Glenn Johnson wrote:

>I have a 3ware 7500 RAID controller.  I have it set up as a RAID-10.
>One of disks is labeled "incomplete".  I deleted that disk to make it
>available and then tried to rebuild the array.  It is not clear to me
>whether the array should be rebuilt in the BIOS or after the OS loads.
>One point in the manual says the array rebuild is started in the BIOS
>and proceeds after the OS loads.  That specific reference was to RAID-5.
>
>Does anyone know if that is the case?  If so, can this happen with
>FreeBSD (-current by the way)?  I initially thought a rebuild would
>be done with the BIOS but I am not so sure now.  Does anyone have any
>experience with this situation?

The rebuild starts when you kick it off, whether from the BIOS or the
web interface to the 3dm management utility.  After you kick it off it
basically doesn't matter what you do - whether you leave the PC sitting
in the 3Ware BIOS or you boot an OS the rebuild will proceed.  You can
check the status of the rebuild from 3dm's web interface.

Jim