Date:      Sat, 3 Mar 2001 17:25:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikko@dynas.se>
To:        vcardona@home.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Considering FreeBSD

In local.freebsd.questions you write:

>On Sat, Mar 03, 2001 at 10:24:55AM -0800, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>> Nonsense!  I've run Solaris on Intel for a while and it supports
>> plenty of hardware, although less "desktop" hardware than "server"
>> hardware.  But, I don't see that it's any more stable than FreeBSD
>> and the lack of source is a detriment compared to FreeBSD.

>Isn't Solaris x86 somewhat unstable? I heard that it had some serious
>memory problems.

The only stability problems I've seen with Solarix x86 was with a
third-party NIC driver, and that was back in 2.5.1.

Solaris is a nice OS, but a total memory hog compared to FreeBSD.  It
seems to like using swap a lot more too, even if you do install
obscene amounts of memory.  The bundled X server is also really good
at eating memory (usually grows to 150MB where Xfree on FreeBSD stops
at 35MB, given the same usage pattern).  Combined with a really bad
IDE driver (at least up to version 7, dunno about 8), this makes
FreeBSD about twice as fast as Solaris, on off-the-shelf (i.e. cheap)
PC hardware, for anything I use it for.

That being said, I like solaris.  I really do.  Lots of nifty tools
for development and debugging (really cool dynamic linker), good
threads support and relatively bug free.  Dog slow, yes, but stability
problems, no.

YMMV etc.

  $.02,
  /Mikko