Date:      Fri, 9 Nov 2001 19:31:25 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "ecmsl Last Name" <ecmsl@my-deja.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: digital camera advice ?

ecmsl Last Name <ecmsl@my-deja.com> types:
> Before buying a digital camera, I must choose one that is fully
> supported on FreeBSD. Lack of USB drivers often sux. All the slots
> are full: I can't add a video capture card. I don't need very high
> resolution for large prints, but only 800x600 (good pictures without
> too much noise) for web pages and a few postcard-sized  prints.
> If someone has a cheap digital camera working on FreeBSD, thanks for
> advice.

This question comes up fairly often on -questions. The best solution
seems to be buying a camera that uses compact flash, then get a
supported USB CF reader. That completely avoids the problem of support
for the camera, allowing you a wider choice of cameras.

Personally, I like Olympus cameras, which use smart media cards. There
are supported readers for that as well, but they tend to be a bit more
expensive than the CF readers.

In both cases - or if you want to connect the camera directly - you
can find lists of things that are known to work with FreeBSD in the
-questions archives.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.