Date:      Sun, 4 Aug 2002 18:07:50 -0500
From:      "Lists" <lists@tekengine.net>
To:        "FreeBSD List" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Mail Problems with 4.6-stable (sorry if this is a repost)

Environment:

3 BSD servers.
1 Acting as email server.
2 others doing various things.

2 of the servers (including my email server) started out 4.3-stable and have
been upgraded since.  All are now 4.6-stable.

1 (the one I am having issues with) is a fresh install of 4.6-stable

I set sendmail_enable and sendmail_submit_enable to NO in rc.conf on all my
servers for security reasons.  All but the one in question are still able to
send email fine, using a command such as:

Mail blah@blah.com from the scripts.

I have some scripts that will email me when certain events occur.  When the
server with the fresh install of BSD tries to send email out, I get the
following:

EOT
noc@kulish.com... Connecting to localhost.kulish.com. via relay...
noc@kulish.com... Deferred: Connection refused by localhost.kulish.com.

If sendmail is enabled in the rc.conf, it sends email fine (obviously).  If
I telnet from this server and drive the MTA manually, everything works fine.

What I cannot figure out is where to change whatever setting it is so that
this new box can do the same.  I checked /usr/src/updating and didn't come
up with much (which isn't surprising, I not that familiar with sendmail, I
use exim on my main email server).  Am I missing something obvious here?

Most of my post-installation setup is done via script, and I hate to have
this odd-ball server sitting there.

Thanks for any help and if you need more info, LMK

Chris K.