Date:      Thu, 4 Feb 1999 08:44:58 -0600 (CST)
From:      James Wyatt <jwyatt@RWSystems.net>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <axl@iafrica.com>
Cc:        Chris Larsen <vader@vader.dk>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Enabling bpf device in kernel (was: Re: tcpdump)

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
	[ ... ]
> I think that we'll find this issue easy to resolve by focusing on those
> two questions. Specifically, I think the focus should be on _who_ we are
> trying to serve best, the cluefull or the lame.

While I understand your point, it smacks of elitism. Many of the admins
clue-level started at the lame-level hacking on their own machine. Some
got appointed by mgmt when they had plenty 'o clue in another area and
someone good was needed *fast* to do admin stuff. (Some self-appoint and
get what they deserve. 8{)

As I've said, I'm for adding, but I count on our audiance to grow up with
us - especially if they read the lists and a doc or two. Adding BPF isn't
like putting the RedHat CD on my Multia and seeing it install NFS and
portmap by default. Ulgh! (And leaving some of NFS alive when you turn it
off in the GUI. Bad dog, no biscut!) It did install well, though.