Date:      Mon, 20 Dec 2004 02:08:32 -0600 (CST)
From:      Scott Bennett <bennett@cs.niu.edu>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ifconfig for WLAN using WEP

     Tyler Gee <geekout@gmail.com> wrote:

>You will also need to specify the wep key.  A good way of turning on
>wep and specifiying the key is:
>
>ifconfig fwe0 nwkey 0x999999999999
>
>Using, of course, your wep key and and the correct iface.  Tamas is

     I believe I dealt with that when I wrote:

->...  Unfortunately,
->whenever I add a WEP-related argument (e.g., wep, wepkey, wepmode) to the
->ifconfig command, as in
->
->	ifconfig fwe0 wep
->
->I get
->
->	ifconfig: SIOCS80211: Invalid argument

     If Tyler could please point out the portion of the above that he didn't
understand, perhaps I could restate it another way for him.

>right that it seems weird that you would be using a firewire nic.  It
>is possible though, so just make sure you are using the right one.

     Argue that with either Dell or the folks who wrote the FreeBSD GENERIC
kernel initialization routines.  At this point, my somewhat-better-than-SWAG
is that the support for fwe interfaces does not include support for WEP, and
thus the "Invalid argument" returned to, and dutifully relayed by, ifconfig.
If anyone can confirm or refute this conjecture, please do so.  Suggestions
for getting around the obstacle would also be appreciated.
     Thanks in advance!

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG