Date:      Sun, 6 Dec 2009 10:23:03 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Robert <traveling08@cox.net>
Subject:   Re: how do i automate building packages?

--WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu

On Sat, Dec 05, 2009 at 06:09:48PM -0800, Robert wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 22:56:53 +0100
> Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> > Now that my desktop and laptop are both running 8.0, I build ports on
> > my (faster) desktop, and then rsync /usr/local to the laptop. Works
> > fine. Of course my laptop now has some apps on it that it doesn't
> > really need, but on the other hand I have been able to
> > remove /usr/ports, /var/db/ports and /var/db/pkg from the laptop.
> > This is a lot easier than creating packages and updating them on
> > another machine.
>
> I really like this idea. I checked your website but didn't find any
> more detail with regards to this.

Oops. Fixed that.
=20
> Are you doing this from crontab, script or just on the command line?

Since my laptop isn't hooked up to my network permanently, I just do the
update from the command line. Here is what I do;

* On the desktop, I make sure that all ports are up to date;
  - 'portsnap fetch update'
  - 'portmaster -a -B -d'
* hook up the laptop to the wired network, with the hostname 'laptop'
  (names and IPs hardwired in /etc/hosts on both machines to keep things si=
mple).
* start 'rsync --daemon' on the laptop. The laptop has the following in
  rsyncd.conf:=20
  		[local]
		path =3D /usr/local
		comment =3D usr/local directory tree
		uid =3D root
		gid =3D wheel
		read only =3D false

* synchronize all ports to the laptop with the following command on the bui=
ld
  machine; 'rsync -av --delete /usr/local/ laptop::local'

> I personally want to thank you for all of your helpful posts.=20

You're welcome. It's nice to be appreciated. :-)

Roland
--=20

--WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu

--WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu--