Date:      Mon, 17 Aug 1998 14:27:36 -0400
From:      mintons@dialogic.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   HALP!!!!

I am in panic mode, for one thing, that is what FreeBSD advised me to do:
panic:  can't mount root

I have a pentium 166 64mb RAM, 1 SCSI CDROM, and hard drives as follow

Primary master = 2.5GB IDE DOS/Windoze  wd0
Primary slave  = 6.5GB IDE DOS  wd1
Secondary Master = IDE CDROM
Secondary slave =  4.5GB IDE FreeBSD wd3

I installed BSD giving it the whole disk, leaving the first partition open for another OS, not "dangerously dedicated".  The fstab points to wd3s1a, b, e, f as /, swap, /var, and /usr.  I am using OSBS and it starts the booting from wd3, I suppose, since there is no other place that BSD resides that I can see.  Just before the panic message it says that it is switching root to wd2s1a.  There ain't no such critter.  Please help!  Could you cc to dukonalake@aol.com  Oh, I am installing from the Walnut Creek CDROM 4 disk set.

Thanks,

Steven Minton