Date:      Tue, 28 May 1996 23:25:23 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Ted Spradley <tsprad%perseverance@dal99.metronet.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Works for me!

Over the holiday weekend I finally took the plunge and upgraded from
2.1R to -stable, and it all came together pretty easily, with only one
glitch that wasn't my fault.  I just went to ftp.freebsd.org and got the
CTM kits src-2.1.0060C.gz through src-2.1.0106.gz and applied them, then
'cd /usr/src' and 'make world'.

That glitch was that the makefile for tn3270 expected the executables of
the tools to be in the source directories, rather than in the 'obj'
directory.

===> usr.bin/tn3270/mset
cd /usr/src/usr.bin/tn3270/mset/../tools/mkastosc; make
/usr/src/usr.bin/tn3270/mset/../tools/mkastosc/mkastosc  /usr/src/usr.bin/tn3270/mset/../ctlr/hostctlr.h /usr/src/usr.bin/tn3270/mset/../ctlr/function.h  < /usr/src/usr.bin/tn3270/mset/../ctlr/unix.kbd > astosc.OUT
/usr/src/usr.bin/tn3270/mset/../tools/mkastosc/mkastosc: not found
*** Error code 2

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.

That after about 19 hours.  Even after sorting that out and restarting I
failed to realize that /usr/obj was in my /usr partition and not in my gigabyte
/usr/src partition, so about 26 hours after restarting it filled the
/usr file system.  :-(   I moved the obj tree to the src partition and
made a sym link from /usr/obj to /usr/src/obj, restarted, and it
completed OK.

I config'ed, made, and installed a new kernel, then 'make install' in
/usr/src.  Booted it up, and it Just Works.  Thanks, everyone!

BTW, the configuration is:  486DX2-66 on an old ISA motherboard, with an
Adaptec 1542C and two big, old Micropolis 5400 rpm 3 Gbyte disks.

--
Ted Spradley   tsprad@metronet.com
Information tends to drive out knowledge.  [...] many people cannot