Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 1995 10:46:01 -0500
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FBSD support inc.

Amancio Hasty, Jr. writes....
> T. Lambert writes.....
> > I would point out first that anyone who hacks changes to the system,
> > and in particular, the kernel, *IS* in fact paying for changes in the
> > system.  They are paying at their normal consulting rate as an
> > opportunity cost.  When I hack BSD, I pay on the order of $60-$120/hour
> > for the priviledge.  So I see little difference between me spending
> > several thousand dollars of my time coding, or earning money which
> > I then pay someone else to do coding for me.  The second case does
> > not then ennoble the code.
>
>Nice try, consider this :
>Perhaps we can attract more people if they get paid .

I think you're missing the basic premise here. If you do it on your own time you
do what you want, if you get paid you do what you're told to do. The whole
perspective of why you do things changes. Now you do it for neatness, coolness,
wowity or whatever. Once you cross the commercial bridge you do things as
a marketing strategy to get more customers or larger margins. You're either a
man or a woman....there is no in-between.

It seems from this discussion that what you really want to do is set up a paid
consultants network...which is much different than an O/S support arm. If you
want to make money doing what you now do for nothing...there's nothing wrong
with that, but you can't make FreeBSD "kind-of" commercial without substantially
changing it's focus.

db
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25