Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2002 12:32:40 +0200
From:      "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        "James E. Pace" <jepace@pobox.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ssh session closing?

Hi James!

On 20 Mar 02 at 15:41 you wrote:

> If I leave ssh sessions to my system idle for a while, they close.
> How can I keep this from happening?

If you add 'KeepAlive yes' to /etc/ssh/sshd_config (assuming ssh from
base system) on the server, maybe this will help?

I have found cases where it doesn't help. Specifically, when i ssh from
behind a firewall to a host outside the firewall. I've heard that some
firewalls have a habit of "eating" keepalive packets.

In these cases I've found it helpful to use ssh2 protocol. After that
my ssh sessions stay alive indefinitely even if sshd on server has
'KeepAlive no' and firewall has timeout for idle tcp connections.
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* It's better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick.