Date:      Thu, 26 May 2011 12:16:22 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CURRENT && /usr/ports

On 05/26/2011 01:37, Matthias Apitz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm running -CURRENT on my laptop (r220692 from ~mid of April) and
> /usr/ports from CVS from the same day; I want from time to time (let's
> says once a week) SVN update my kernel and userland; I know that these
> two should be in sync, but what about the ports? I have installed around
> 1200 ports I'm used to use. Is there any special note in /usr/src/UPDATING
> when the ABI changes and would break the compiled ports?

I've been using -current on my laptop for years and have run into this
problem less than a handful of times. As a general principle you don't
need to be concerned about it.

OTOH, if you are using ports that are tied into the source tree (like
nvidia modules, fuse, virtualbox, etc.) then of course you should
rebuild those ports after you update your system.

hth,

Doug

			-- OK Go