Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 1995 09:04:14 GMT
From:      Stephen Hocking <sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   More crypt stuff (fwd)

>From: metz@itd.itd.nrl.navy.mil (Craig Metz)
>Newsgroups: comp.security.unix,comp.security.misc
>Subject: Announcing NRL OPIE 2.0
>Date: 27 Jun 1995 18:39:18 GMT

Announcing NRL OPIE 2.0
=======================

	We are pleased to announce the public release of the U.S. Naval
Research Laboratory's One-Time Passwords in Everything (OPIE) Version 2.0
Software Distribution. OPIE provides a one-time password system for POSIX-
compliant UNIX-like operating systems. The system should be secure against the
passive attacks now commonplace on the Internet (see RFC 1704 for more
details). The system is vulnerable to active dictionary attacks, though these
are not widespread at present and can be detected through proper use of system
audit software. The NRL OPIE software is derived in part from and is backwards
compatible with the Bell Communications Research (Bellcore) S/Key(TM) Version
1 Software Distribution. Because Bellcore claims "S/Key" as a trademark for
their software, NRL has been forced to use a different name (we picked "OPIE")
for its software distribution.

	NRL OPIE includes the following additions/modifications to the
original Bellcore S/Key(TM) Version 1 software:

* Just about one-command installation for many common platforms. While we
  still recommend that you follow instructions and test things by hand, the
  more adventurous can install OPIE quickly.

* A modified BSD FTP daemon that does OPIE. The small and simple BSD ftpd(8)
  was deliberately chosen over the wuarchive ftpd(8) because we didn't have
  the time needed to convince ourselves that the wuarchive ftpd(8) didn't have
  any security holes lurking in its many extra features.

* By default, the "su" binary always gives you an OPIE challenge, even on the
  console. This was a hole for rlogin/telnet sessions in the original S/Key
  software.

* MD5 support. MD5 is now the default algorithm, though MD4 is still supported
  by changing a parameter in the Makefile. This change was made because MD5 is
  widely believed to be cryptographically stronger than MD4 (see RFC 1321).

* A more portable version of MD4 has been substituted for the original MD4.
  This should solve many of the endian problems.

* Most of the system-dependencies have been moved to a new file "opie_cfg.h".

* Configuration options have been moved to the Makefile.

* Isolated system dependencies (e.g. BSDisms) with appropriate #ifdefs.

* Revised the opiekey(1) program to simultaneously support MD4 and MD5, with
  the default algorithm being tunable using the MDX symbol in the Makefile.

* More operating systems are supported by NRL OPIE as of Release 2, but older
  BSD systems that aren't close to being compliant with the POSIX standard are
  no longer supported.

* Transition mechanisms are optional to prevent potential back doors.

* On systems using the /etc/opieaccess transition mechanism, users can choose
  to require the use of OPIE to login to their accounts when it would
  otherwise be optional.

* Bug fixes

* Cosmetic changes

* Changes to mostly conform with the draft Internet OTP standard.

Tested Configurations
=====================

	We have tested OPIE on the following platforms:

Hardware		Operating System	Referred to as	   System
--------		----------------	--------------	   ---------
Sun SPARCStation 20	Solaris 2.4		Solaris		   solaris
Sun 4/300		SunOS 4.1.3		SunOS		   sunos
Sun SPARCStation 2	4.4BSD-Encumbered	4.4BSD		   44bsd
486/66 PC		BSDI BSD/OS 1.1	& 2.0	BSD/OS		   bsdos
486/66 PC		Slackware Linux 2.1	Linux		   linux
SGI Indigo^2		IRIX 5.2		IRIX		   irix
HP 9000/750		HP-UX 9.01		HP-UX9		   hpux9
HP 9000/755		HP-UX 10.0		HP-UX10		   hpux10
IBM RS/6000 550		AIX 3.2.5		AIX		   aix

	Additionally, we have received information from beta testers from
which we believe OPIE to work on the following additional platforms:

Hardware		Operating System	Referred to as     System
--------		----------------	--------------	   ---------
486 PC			FreeBSD			FreeBSD		   freebsd
486 PC			NetBSD			NetBSD		   netbsd

Trademarks
S/Key is a trademark of Bell Communications Research (Bellcore).
UNIX is a trademark of Unix Systems Laboratories.
NRL is a trademark of the U. S. Naval Research Laboratory.
OPIE is in the public domain and hence cannot be legally trademarked by
anyone.

Availability

	NRL OPIE 2.0 is copyrighted but freely available. It is now available