Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 1997 21:20:03 -0600 (CST)
From:      Tim Tsai <tim@futuresouth.com>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: performance (was: 100 Mb/s cards)

>    Regarding the difference in performance between the de and fxp drivers,
> all I can say to this is that the code paths in the de driver are long and
> complicated. It's entirely likely that they have to be this way for whatever
> reason (I've not looked into improving it). The time reduction I measured with
> the fxp driver was primarily %interrupt, but there is a reduction in system
> time as well (too difficult to measure accuraterly on wcarchive, but perhaps
> 5-10%).

  Perhaps this can be reflected in the supported hardware file,
especially a note about 21140-AC based cards.  I bought these cards
based on the hardware list and also by comments that these cards are
going to be supported soon (that was 3 months ago), well, that hasn't
turned out to be the case.  The least we can do is to prevent others
from making the same mistake.

  Tim