Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 1997 18:01:59 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        hsu@freefall.freebsd.org, sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Cc:        bde@freefall.freebsd.org, current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: union mounts seem to work

>> Have you tried rebooting your computer single-user and manually running
>> fsck?  :-)

I don;t have thIs particular problem.

>You won't happen to be getting a "Fatal trap 12" when you reboot?
>
>root[0]: shutdown -r now
>
>gives
>
>Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode

Or this.

>The mounted filesystems are not unmounted before the trap and I get
>dropped into the debugger.  A hard reset shows all filesystems have
>some damage.

Use the panic command after getting dropped into the debugger to
minimise damage.

-current often gets recursive panics for following bad pointers in
sync() in panic() (because there are more pointers in the locking
code now).  The panic command won't reduce the damage in this case,
but it is even safer to use because it won't touch the disk at all.

Bruce