Date:      Tue, 26 Oct 1999 18:48:56 -0600
From:      Ben Schumacher <bs@cyalchemy.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Server Hardware Configuration Question.

Hello-

I am working on a project in my company where we will need to be able to
handle large amounts of traffic on a web server we are setting
up.  Basically, we estimate about 75,000 visitors a day with roughly five
20k page views each, which makes roughly 7.5GB of data a day.  Most of the
pages we'll be offering on this site are static, but access to the site
will be need to be verified through a database of say 750,000 customers.

What I need is an idea of a good hardware configuration of (most likely) 2
machines that would be able to handle this much potential traffic.  I've
had a lot of experience with FreeBSD and think that it would be the best
solution for this, running a combination of Apace and MySQL, but I need to
know what I can do on the hardware side to support it.

I guess what I really need is a good idea of what is necessary to make
these machines powerful and responsive.  I think the best solution for the
web server would be a powerful P3 Xeon server, using a hardware RAID system
with at least 1GB of RAM.  The database server, on the other hand, I'm a
little more unsure about.  I haven't had enough experience with MySQL to
know what keeps to running fast and smooth.   I figure that it probably
relies heavily on drive speed and RAM, but how important are issues like
having a large L2 cache on the processor?

One last thing.  We're looking at getting the server equipment from one of
the big vendors (Dell, Micron, etc), but while searching the archives that
Del''s PERC RAID controller is not support (or was not) by FreeBSD, any
world on when/if it will be?  I know that Micron's is support (since Walnut
Creek uses it).  What are some other hardware RAID solutions available and
from which vendors could I get them from?

I would really appreciate any information you could provide me.

- Ben Schumacher