Date:      Mon, 10 May 2010 19:23:23 +0100
From:      Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>
Subject:   Re: File system

On Sunday 09 May 2010 22:51:01 Robert Bonomi wrote:

> 2) You could try using a 'journaling' filesystem, *BUT* you'd have to
> build/ implement it yourself.  Journaling filesystems are deliberately
> _not_ provided with FreeBSD, due to security issues/implications with
> them. _You_ will have to decide if the security risks in *your*
> envrionment are worth the (limited) benefits.

I've never heard of security problems with journaled filesystems - do you have
any links to more information?

> 3) you can switch to an OS _intended_ for use by the ill-informed; where
> the provider makes all the decisions for you, and allows only what they
> think is reasonable.  BUT, such an OS isn't going to look like Unix, nor
> feel like it, nor act like it.

I think IBM would disagree with you: JFS (the Journaled File System) is
available on AIX, which most people would consider very Unixy. I also believe
IRIX looks very much like Unix too, despite having XFS.

--
Bruce Cran