Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 2000 11:17:22 -0700 (MST)
From:      Les Biffle <les@ns3.safety.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Runtime memory footprint

What determines the runtime memory footprint of a process?  I have small
daemons that occupy 25K on disk, don't malloc anything to speak of, but
are 440K to 1024K in memory, according to top and ps.  For that matter,
just about nothing in my "ps" display is under 400K.  The daemons are
dynamically-linked.  Is there anything I can do to reduce the memory
footprint?

Thanks and best regards,

-Les

--
Les Biffle             Community Service...  Just Say NO!
(480) 778-0177    les@safety.net  http://www.networksafety.com/