Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 2000 11:15:39 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recreating /dev?

On Friday, 15 September 2000 at 18:03:23 +0000, Rick Hamell wrote:

> 	Ok, I did something stupid in the attempt to fix another problem
> with a misplaced *... :( Anyways I now need to restore /dev on 4.1 to it's
> orginal state. Besides a full reinstall, and a line-by-line audit, what is
> the best way to get /dev back to normal? Thanks in advance!

Well, the obvious answer is: restore from your last backup.  /dev
doesn't change much.  But it sounds like this doesn't work for you.

The next best answer is:

  # cd /dev
  # ./MAKEDEV all

For other reasons, I have just done this, and I see it's not too
clever.  In particular, it doesn't create device entries for all the
slices present on the system, which causes problems.  You will
definitely have to go back and check it.  In the not-too-distant
future we will have devfs, which creates the correct /dev entries on
the fly at every boot, and this mess will go away.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.