Date:      Sun, 7 Oct 2012 09:17:35 +0100
From:      Jamie Paul Griffin <jamie@kode5.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New User to FreeBSD

[ Waitman Gobble wrote on Sun  7.Oct'12 at  0:38:30 -0700 ]

> On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 12:17 AM, alwin doss <alwindoss84@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Let me be honest at the outset, I have never used an operating system other
> > than linux with enthusiasm.
> > But something about Linux always troubled me "It's licensing", "such
> > complex family of distributions which are so different from each other".
> >
> > Which is when I came across FreeBSD. I fell in love with it, but yes I have
> > never used it yet, I have tried many times to install it, but the
> > installation process is really hard, I must say.
> > I really want to install it on my laptop and all my systems.
> > Added to the above interests of mine, I am a C++ and java developer. I want
> > to use this talent that God's has blessed me with in this community.
> >
> > I want to begin with FreeBSD's very own GUI. Not depending on anyone
> > (Gnome, KDE or....) I want it to be soooooo good that a commoner shoule be
> > able to work with it with ease and feel safe and secure.
> >
> > So if someone could guide me about how to get started with contributing to
> > FreeBSD it would be great. Please do reach out to me for more details if
> > you need that is!!!
> > Send me links that will get me started with FreeBSD I am all excited for
> > this new journey to begin.
> >

> > --
> > Alwin Doss
> > God's Beloved

> Take a look at PC-BSD
> http://www.pcbsd.org/

> Waitman Gobble

Yes i think you might benefit initially from installing PC-BSD. It IS FreeBSD, but the creators have put a great deal of effort and hard work into making it easier to install and to provide an X environment that is already set up and configured for you to use. If you were to install FreeBSD there are a lot of configuration changes to be made and software to install to get the set-up I believe you're looking for. PC-BSD will take away that part of it for you and most likely make your experience of FreeBSD a lot less headache free. It's default desktop is KDE 4 i believe.