Date:      17 Mar 98 08:14:08 +0100
From:      leifn@image.dk (Leif Neland)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Best IDSN?

At 16 Mar 98 21:59:08 "Adrian T. Filipi-Martin" wrote regarding Re: Best IDSN?

 "T>         I have decided to go with an external TA now using a
 "T> ByteRunner 16650 I.O board.
 "T>
 "T>         I looked into the Bitsurfer Pro, and it only claims to
 "T> do 128KBaud on the I/O port, where as the Courier I claims it
 "T> can deal with 230.4KBaud.  I understand why you might want to
 "T> pump that much data through the I/O port to a modem with
 "T> compression, but I find this a bit puzzling for ISDN.
 "T>
 "T>         When running over ISDN, you can get PPP (VJ & BSD)
 "T> compression, but that doesn't affect the amount of data going to
 "T> the TA, right?  It is compressed/decompressed in the OS.

If you bundle 2B-channels, you can get 128K, so the standard speed of 115200bps
is not enough. So the port at least need to run 230400bps.

Also, everything is not ppp, even in isdn-land. Somebody also uses isdn for
modem-replacements, running X75, or V110H/L. Here the TA does the compression,
so eg. ZyXel's can do 460Kbps, usefull if you transmit plain compressable data.

Leif Neland
leifn@image.dk

---