Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2001 08:57:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Chris Phillips <chris@selkie.org>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        John Kendler <fbsdquestions@hotmail.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any mail server software that could run on FreeBSD?

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> > Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 07:46:24 -0700 (PDT)
> > From: Chris Phillips <chris@selkie.org>
> > Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> >
> > You're welcome to your opinion.  We could start a flame but let's not.  As
> > I state before, sendmail is a great option.
> >
> > -Chris Phillips
> >
> > On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, John Kendler wrote:
> >
> > > umm sendmail is not reccomended, use qmail if you can.
>
> OK. Chris recommends sendmail. John does not and prefers qmail. (FWIW,
> I prefer postfix.) But the statement sendmail is recommended is at
> best misleading. YOU recommend sendmail and you phrase the response
> like it is a generally accepted statement when it is far from it.

I have to disagree with you chief.  Every install of FreeBSD since I
started using it around 2.1.5 (I think?) has had a default install of
sendmail.

> I'd look at qmail, postfix, and sendmail. I suspect you will decide to
> ditch sendmail after a week of trying to understand configuration
> files, but you may love them. :-) If you don't need anything special,
> the defaults do work. MC files make life much easier than in the old
> days, too.

Sendmail isn't really that hard and I find it MUCH more versatile than
qmail, especially when it comes to virtual users.

> Qmail and postfix are MUCH easier to configure and Postfix was written
> with security in mind from the beginning by the guy at IBM who brought
> us tcpwrappers, so tends to do the right things from the start with
> little chance of buffer overflow problems and the like.

Configuration ease is a matter of opinion.

> But make your own choice because, other than personal opinions, none
> is "recommended".

I do not believe any single piece of software has had such a drastic
rewrite of code.  Sendmail itself has been quite secure for quite some
time.  The only issue that comes to mind in recent memory was an issue
that was Linux specific.

I think you will find that sendmail is more robust than any of it's
counterparts as well as FAR more widely used world wide.

I personally dislike qmail and postfix as well and the not brought up
exim and I have valid reasons for my opinions.  Long live sendmail!

-Chris Phillips