Date:      Sat, 27 Apr 2002 12:41:02 -0400
From:      "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
To:        <brandon.cruz87@attbi.com>
Cc:        "FBSDQ" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Hello

I totally agree with Joe Gwozdecki's post and expand on it with this.

FBSD is distributed on CDROM. http://www.bsdmall.com/freebsd1.html  and
http://www.bsdcentral.com/  sell an 4 cd set for $40.00 plus shipping. I
bought this one time before I know better. You only need the first CD, it
contains the FBSD install, the rest of the other 3 remaining CD's contain
selected applications that you can install on FBSD. These application can to
outdated all most as soon as they are cut to the release cd, so one finds
them selves using the online ports collection to install these applications
any way. The revenue from these sales is what supports the acquisition of
server equipment and internet access for the web sites used to administrate
the FBSD project. If you want to do your part to support the FBSD project,
then by all means purchase the 4 cd sets every time a new version is
released, about four times a year.

An alternative is just to purchase the single FBSD install cd. As of FBSD
version 4.4 the above BSD sponsored sites do not sell just the single
install CD. But www.linuxcentral.com does sell it for $3.00 plus shipping.
The direct URL is
http://www.linuxcentral.com/catalog/index.php3?prod_code=L000-122&id=NwnVzqF
8aBeag

This is the point where many new want-a-be users start saying, but it's
suppose to be free. Well FBSD is free, free to use as in no licensing fee to
pay, as in you have free access to the source code, and free access to the
ISO CD images of the 4 cd set from a FBSD FTP server. But the production of
making the 4 cd set and the marketing of the install cd set is not free. You
have to pay for that service.

ISO cd images

The FBSD 4 CD set is available from many FBSD FTP sites. Many people think
they can just download the ISO image, burn it to CD and away they go. Well
here a news flash for you, it's not that easy. First of all the ISO image is
not supported in the MS/Windows world. Sure you can download it and burn it
to an CD using MS/Windows, but you end up with a data disk, not an bootable
CD, which it has to be to install from. The second major problem is you need
a fast internet connection, (IE: ISDN,DSL,CABLE) to download over. Using an
56K modem will take over 28 hours per CD if you are lucky enough that your
ISP does not cut you off or the FTP server does not get busy and suspend
your session. The FBSD online handbook does explain a way of using floppies
to load a simple FBSD system that you can then use FTP to download the
complete system. In most cases this process is way beyond the capabilities
of the first time FBSD user.

To get and use the FBSD ISO install CD image you need to download it and
write it to CD using an FBSD system and if using an dial up modem your FTP
session must be able to restart from where it left off.

So lets be realistic, the first time installer of FBSD has to purchase at
the bare minimum the single install cd from www.linuxcentral.com  to get
started. Doing so will result in you installing the current production
version of FBSD and enabling you to receive the maximum level of support
from the FBSD questions mailing list. I highly recommend the single install
cd method for all inexperienced FBSD users.