Date:      Sun, 20 May 2001 06:00:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/26926: (NEW PORT) osg - Open Scene Graph

The following reply was made to PR ports/26926; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
To: Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
Cc: FreeBSD GNATS DB <FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 07:47:35 -0500

 On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 08:42:43AM -0400, Randall Hopper wrote:
 > I pulled out my old message and it does have the pkg-plist in it.  The
 > fault lies in FreeBSD's shar which apparently does not work except for text
 > files where the very last character is an EOL.  It creates a shell archive
 > that FreeBSD's /bin/sh does not see the END-of-... marker for the file and
 > keeps tacking text from the next file into the previous.

 Ah, sorry, should have looked again.

 > FreeBSD's shar needs a fix, or at least a CAVEAT listed in the man page.

 No, I don't think there is a "fix", because if you add formatting to a
 file where there wasn't one before, it won't be the same as it used to
 be (and this CAN be important in terms of last EOL).  It's a fundamental
 problem with the shar formatting.

 Regardless, I've always wondered how people end up with files that don't
 have an EOL on the last line... never happened to me.  BTW, it's not the
 very last character that must be an EOL (this would be an EOF), just the
 last character on the last line before the EOF.

 > Here is a .tgz of the exact same set of files I submitted in my PR (so you
 > can try shar if you'd like).  Sorry this didn't work the first time.  From
 > now on, I'll submit MIME-attached .tgz files rather than the shar things
 > recommended in the porters handbook.  I know they work.

 shar's actually do work.  I never had trouble with them:

 > <1 5027-0> (7:45:33) [will@puck ~]% mkdir test
 > <1 5028-0> (7:45:35) [will@puck ~]% cat > test/blah
 > this is a test
 > just a test
 > <1 5029-0> (7:45:43) [will@puck ~]% cat > test/blah2
 > another test
 > this file has an EOL
 > <1 5030-0> (7:45:50) [will@puck ~]% ls -l test
 > total 2
 > -rw-rw-r--  1 will  will  27 May 20 07:45 blah
 > -rw-rw-r--  1 will  will  34 May 20 07:45 blah2
 > <1 5031-0> (7:46:01) [will@puck ~]% cat test/blah;echo "--";cat test/blah2
 > this is a test
 > just a test
 > --
 > another test
 > this file has an EOL
 > <1 5032-0> (7:46:14) [will@puck ~]% shar `find test` > test.shar
 > <1 5033-0> (7:46:24) [will@puck ~]% cat test.shar
 > # This is a shell archive.  Save it in a file, remove anything before
 > # this line, and then unpack it by entering "sh file".  Note, it may
 > # create directories; files and directories will be owned by you and
 > # have default permissions.
 > #
 > # This archive contains:
 > #
 > #       test
 > #       test/blah
 > #       test/blah2
 > #
 > echo c - test
 > mkdir -p test > /dev/null 2>&1
 > echo x - test/blah
 > sed 's/^X//' >test/blah << 'END-of-test/blah'
 > Xthis is a test
 > Xjust a test
 > END-of-test/blah
 > echo x - test/blah2
 > sed 's/^X//' >test/blah2 << 'END-of-test/blah2'
 > Xanother test
 > Xthis file has an EOL
 > END-of-test/blah2
 > exit
 >
 > <1 5034-0> (7:46:26) [will@puck ~]%

 uuencoded tarballs also work, but they are less convenient except in
 large cases (which are fairly rare in ports), mainly because it's easier
 to examine how much work would be involved in getting a port in the tree
 when you can see the actual content in the raw text of the PR.

 --
 wca