Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2007 13:46:10 -0500
From:      Jessica Mahoney <root@varusonline.com>
To:        Alaksiej C <ac@belngo.info>, freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Laptop] Battery Time

Alaksiej,
I used Kubuntu 7.04 for the linux system.  For FreeBSD, I had to use
FreeBSD 7.0, since FreeBSD 6.2-R could not boot (no matter what I did,
it just wouldn't work).  As for the laptop's hardware, it came with a
Broadcom BCM4321AG (14e4:4328) Mini-PCIe card, which I removed since it
doesn't work at all in FreeBSD and constantly dropped the connection in
Linux.  For wireless, I'm now using a Linksys WUSBF54G, which requires
the zyd(4) module.  Other than that, the machine is all OEM.

Why FreeBSD 6.2-R would not work:
Normal boot: hardlock on attach of hard drive (ad4)
ACPI Disabled: hardlock on attach of network (nfe0)
ACPI and nfe disabled: hardlock on attach of hard drive (ad4)

FreeBSD 6.2-R does not seem to like the nVidia MCP51 Serial ATA
controller, but FreeBSD 7.0 is just fine.  Started with FreeBSD
7.0-CURRENT 200709 and now have 7.0-BETA3.  Must use GRUB to load the
loader (but the CD boots fine).

~Jessica