Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 2010 15:05:35 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
Cc:        Tom McLaughlin <tmclaugh@sdf.lonestar.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recent MFC to 7 causes crash on VMware ESXi

On Monday 08 February 2010 2:46:51 pm Kostik Belousov wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 02:42:33PM -0500, John Baldwin wrote:

> > > What I said was suggestion and not objection. Ignore me.
> >
> > Were there any reports of problems with Intel CPUs that weren't under a
> > virtualization system?  If so, we should keep the test, but my understanding
> > was that the test was only true under specific virtualization environments.
>
> Forcing Intel CPU to use CLFLUSH, by clearing SS bit, caused
> reserved trap on Pentium M at least. My concern is that if Intel
> makes some stripped-down CPU with CLFLUSH but without SS logic,
> we would be affected.

Hmm, I am content to just workaround things that we know are broken for
enough.  There are an infinite number of possibilities as far as if future
products may be broken.  I think for that case we should wait and add a
workaround to disable it as new parts that are broken become available.

--
John Baldwin