Date:      Sun, 23 May 2004 13:52:06 +0200
From:      Kay Lehmann <kay_lehmann@web.de>
To:        Josef Karthauser <joe@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portupgrade and daemons.

Josef Karthauser wrote:
> A number of ports run daemons, such as postfix, which are started in
> /usr/local/tc/rc.d.  Portupgrade doesn't appear to know anything about
> these, and so it will quite happily attempt to upgrade a daemon that is
> still running.  Idealally it ought to DTRT, which I guess is some
> combination of shutdow the existing port down, upgrade it and then
> restart it.  There are some rudiments of knowledge about rc.d/ scripts
> built into the Mk subsystem so I wonder whether it's possible to hook
> into that in some way.
>
> Thoughts welcome.
>
> Joe

As far as I know this isn't the job of portupgrade. Normally it should
be handeled by the port itself, which could stop daemons with
appropriate set (de)install targets.
I think a lot of the ports do this quite properly. Moving this to Mk
looks quite complicated and I think it would be the best to leave it in
the ports, since they should know what is required to do.

Greets,
Kay