Date:      Sat, 21 Jun 2003 18:54:05 +0200
From:      Uwe Doering <gemini@geminix.org>
To:        "Rev. Joe Doyle Ardent" <ardent@nebcorp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange formatting error with pkg_info after using portupgrade

Hi,

Rev. Joe Doyle Ardent wrote:
> 	Hello, everyone, I have a fairly strange error, that has popped
> up on both machines where I have used portupgrade (both 4.8-RELEASE
> boxes).  Here is an example output:
>
> please:~> pkg_info |head
> BitTorrent-3.2.1b   "Peer to Peer file sharing/mirroring."Mesa-3.4.2_2
> A graphics library similar to SGI's OpenGL
> ORBit-0.5.17        High-performance CORBA ORB with support for the C language
> XFree86-4.3.0,1     X11/XFree86 core distribution (complete, using mini/meta-po
>
> 	Note how Mesa's entry begins immediately after the last
> character of BitTorrent's.
 > [...]

While I actually don't know why the terminating newline is missing in
some cases I noticed that there was an MFC to RELENG_4 a couple of days
ago that makes 'pkg_info' add a newline if the comment line doesn't have
one.  You may want to take a look at FreeBSD's CVS repository
(src/usr.sbin/pkg_install/info/show.c) in order to build and install a
fixed 'pkg_info'.

Or if it doesn't happen often you could just as well edit the respective
'+COMMENT' file in the '/var/db/pkg' hierarchy.  The pragmatic approach. ;-)

    Uwe
--
Uwe Doering         |  EscapeBox - Managed On-Demand UNIX Servers
gemini@geminix.org  |  http://www.escapebox.net