Date:      Wed, 25 Mar 2015 07:43:30 +0100
From:      Andrzej Tobola <ato@iem.pw.edu.pl>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Devin Teske <dteske@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: patch to bsd.ports.mk to support out-of-tree patches.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 01:33:15PM +0800, Julian Elischer wrote:
> Hi, I've a need to keep soe changes outside of the ports tree, to
> allow me to tailor
> our installs. I could use the "EXTRA_PATCHES" setting, but I'd have to
> outline the
> patches every time and keep track of them one by one.

I am using (from a long time) union-mount of local /usr/local/ports over
ports tree:

  % mount | grep ports
  /ftp/pub/BSD/FreeBSD/GIT/ports on /usr/ports (nullfs, read-only)
  <above>:/usr/local/ports on /usr/ports (unionfs, read-only)

  % grep ports /etc/fstab
  /ftp/pub/ports  /usr/ports      nullfs  noauto,ro               0 0
  /usr/local/ports /usr/ports     unionfs noauto,ro               0 0

Simple and effective.
I am using Makefile.local to add local Makefile extensions

cheers,
-a