Date:      Mon, 14 Apr 2008 17:35:38 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Andy Christianson <achristianson@orases.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Poweredge 1950 IPMI

--TB36FDmn/VVEgNH/

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 08:29:43AM -0400, Andy Christianson wrote:
<snip>
> > > So, any ideas on how to read the CPU temperature from this machine?
> > > Thanks in advance for any advice.
> > >=20
> >=20
> > My experience is that it's more important to be able to read
> > fan rpm on the CPU heatsink.  If fan rpm is 0, then the fan is
> > not cooling the CPU and you will shortly have no CPU.
> >=20
> > As long as you have fan RPM on the heatsink above a certain level
> > and your internal case temp is below a certain temp, you can easily
> > infer the CPU temp - as they say, that's "good enough for government"
> >=20
> > Ted
> >=20
>=20
> I agree with you that fan RPM is usually the most important thing. The
> problem I have is that our server closet is very, very small and the
> only ventilation is the removal of one ceiling tile. When I close the
> door, the server gets really loud. This is because fan RPMs are running
> up above 11,000 RPM when they're normally at 6,000-7,000 RPM.

Server cupboards usually have dedicated fans. Why not get one of those?=20
=20
> That was the original motivation to get temperature monitoring working.
> We want to know if it's safe to leave the door closed with the fans
> screaming away at 11,000+ RPM.

The fact that the dans are running at max should tell you something...

A quick & dirty solution would be to drill a couple of holes into the
door, one near the top, and one near the bottom. Get a couple of 120 mm
fans. Put them in holes in the the bottom of the door as an intake fans.
Leave the top hole open as an exhaust. Hook the fans up to an old power
supply and you're done. Need more cooling? Add more fans. It might be a
good idea put some filter material in front of the intake fans, lest you
want to breed dust puppies. :-)

Roland
--=20

--TB36FDmn/VVEgNH/