Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 2013 20:58:34 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Voice Mail required QuickTime

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 13:54:34 -0400, Carmel wrote:
> I have a voice mail account with Time Warner Cable. I can access the
> account from my home telephone, Windows PC, etcetera, but not from my
> FreeBSD machine. This error message pops up when I try to play the
> recording on the web site:
>
> To play audio online, you must have QuickTime Player installed.
>
> How can I make this work from my FreeBSD machine?

Without any experience with the service you've mentioned,
I'd suggest using mplayer, because mplayer plays everything.
As far as I know, there's also an mplayer plugin for web
browsers (probably Firefox) that can be used to play QT
content embedded in web pages. Note that this might involve
recompiling mplayer with the proper options set, as QT
is probably not part of the defaults.

(By the way, it's strange that QT is used for this purpose,
I would have assumed that the codec of choice would still
be MP3...)

There's also the "libquicktime" and "openquicktime" libraries
in ports which _maybe_ allow a better in-browser experience
to handle that proprietary format.

If the web page to access the service is really that "backward
oriented" that it _requires_ the actual QT player, then I'd
say that Time Warner Cable needs a friendly reminder to make
the transition to _standard_ "HTML-compatible formats" that
have less restrictions in your rights to use _your_ voice
mail - even if it's just a "stupid MP3 download" or something
comparable. Everyone else on the planet can already play audio
data via web pages without QT for decades. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany