Date:      Sat, 12 Nov 2011 10:25:23 +0100
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Are there any users of accelerated asymmetric cryptography?

--WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu

Hi.

I'm in the process of rewriting large parts of the opencrypto framework
and was wondering if there are any users that actually make use of
asymmetric cryptography. From what I see only ubsec(4) driver supports
it and from what I remember those cards are hard to find.

If there are no users of this functionality I plan to remove support for
asym crypto from the opencrypto framework. It is just too hard to maintain
this without test hardware and also quite pointless if nobody uses it.
If some users can be found and they really need it, we have two options:
1. Keep asym crypto around, but whoever steps up have to be ready to
   test patches.
2. Use alternative way of accessing it (eg. via direct ioctl to ubsec
   device), at least until we start to support more cards.

--=20
FreeBSD committer                         http://www.FreeBSD.org
Am I Evil? Yes, I Am!                     http://yomoli.com

--WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu