Date:      17 Mar 98 08:23:07 +0100
From:      leifn@image.dk (Leif Neland)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Couldn't find the answer anywhere else!!

At 17 Mar 98 00:14:19 "Ekin Caglar" wrote regarding Couldn't find the answer
anywhere else!!

 "C> Can you please answer this question or forward it someone who can
 "C> answer?!?!?!?!?
 "C>
 "C> Let's say I'm using FreeBSD and we have a domain called
 "C> "www.tester.com"
 "C>
 "C> If someone makes up "xxx.tester.com" and puts it on another
 "C> server, is there
 "C> any way that I can find out that it exists if I don't know what
 "C> he has called it?

I can call my machine xxx.tester.com. I can also put this name and ip-adress in
the host-file of all the machines I can get control off.
However, this only makes xxx.tester.com available to these machines, not the
whole rest of the world.

 "C> Also, how do they propegate the DNS entry for "xxx.tester.com"
 "C> without involving Internic?

They can't. Internic just takes care of the top level. They assign authority
over tester.com to somebody (you?). Then only YOU can assign the names below
tester.com.

Naturally, I can send out mail as president@whitehouse.gov, if I want, but I
can not get mail back to me, because I don't have authority to alter the
whitehouse.gov-domain.

Leif Neland
leifn@image.dk

---