Date:      Fri, 6 Aug 1999 21:52:48 -0600
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@roguetrader.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Botting Alphastation 500 for install: unknown console type 3

--X1bOJ3K7DJ5YkBrT

I just acquired an Alphastation 500/333 which had Digital Unix 3.2 and
Linux on it--I was going to wipe it and put FreeBSD on it.  I booted
from the two disks, but after the 'wait 10 seconds' prompt and when it
starts to actually boot, it panics with the message:

    ctb->ctb_term_type = 0x3
    ctb->ctb_turboslot = 0x30008
    panic: consinit: unknown console type 3

So I digup an old slightly dysfunctional and fading wyse terminal,
plug it up and boot, this time it panics with the message:

    dec_kn20aa_itr_map: weird slot 0
    unexpected machine check:

        mces    = 0x1
        vector  = 0x660
        param   = 0xfffff<something>
        pc      = 0xfffff<something>
        ra      = 0xfffff<something>
        curproc = 0

    panic: machine check

I am booting from SRM, latest console (7.0a).  console is set to
'graphics' or 'serial' as appropriate.  Why am I seeing this?  Digital
Unix and Linux bootup fine...

Any help is greatly appreciated...

-Brandon Gillespie

--X1bOJ3K7DJ5YkBrT